Sunday, December 09, 2007

Maybe in another life

One of my favorite teachers in high school and I have stayed in touch after these 38 years and for that I am truly grateful. He has been a professor in Anchorage where he enjoys the good life. Today we were exchanging some email and I sent him a poem about a man who died in Alaska that a good friend had sent to me and he responded with another one written by one of my all time favorite writers, Jack London. As I read the poem I couldn't help but realize Jack London seemed to have a complete understanding that all those who competed in the La Carrera had and I felt it appropriate to post here for all them to read.



I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time.


Jack London

No comments: